What to Do If You Have Suffered a Parking Lot Slip and Fall Injury
Slip and falls are the most commonly reported parking lot injury. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include: slippery surfaces or substances, such as oil; debris; cracked or uneven pavement or potholes; poor weather conditions, such as rain, snow, or ice; and damaged, cracked, or dislocated wheel stops. Poor lighting is a common contributor to slip and fall accidents. Missing stairwell banisters can also lead to falls.
If you have suffered a parking lot slip and fall, the following is a list of steps you should take. Adherence to these tips will help to protect your legal rights and maximize your chance of a full recovery from the at fault property owner:
- Report the accident to local law enforcement: You are advised to call the police after the fall to report the incident. This starts a helpful paper trail.
- Report the accident to the property manager or another appropriate party: Find out who the party responsible for overseeing the garage is and report the accident as soon as possible after its occurrence.
- Record information about the accident: As soon as possible after the fall, write down your recollection of the events, including the date, time, and conditions of the fall, along with the medical symptoms you are experiencing. Put this in a safe place.
- Photograph the scene: Take pictures of the condition that caused your fall.
- Obtain witness information: If anyone witnessed your fall, obtain their contact information, including name, address, and phone number.
- Seek medical treatment: Sometimes slip and fall victims will not immediately recognized they have been injured. It is best to seek medical attention immediately after the accident even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. Prompt medical care can prevent the occurrence of greater injuries and will assist in your claim.
- Obtain a copy of the police report: Keep the police report with your records and request that any errors be corrected.
- Consult with a slip and fall attorney: As soon as possible after the crash, consult with an experienced slip and fall attorney in your area. Your attorney will immediately investigate the accident and gather vital evidence for your later claim.
- Do not try to negotiate with the insurance company without first speaking to an attorney: Leave negotiations to your qualified personal injury attorney who, armed with the necessary evidence and experience, can obtain the most favorable outcome.
Lundy Law: Premises Liability Lawyers Assisting Slip and Fall Victims Across Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware
The Premises Liability Lawyers at Lundy Law have assisted countless individuals who have suffered slip and fall injuries in parking lots, ramps, and garages throughout the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. If you or someone you know has been injured in a slip and fall accident, our dedicated attorneys can help. We will fight to see that our injured slip and fall clients receive compensation for their medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, long term disability, and more. Call Lundy Law today at 1 (800) LUNDYLAW® to schedule your consultation.