LaHood calls for federal distracted driving ban

April 27, 2012

Secretary LaHood’s call for a national distracted driving ban garnered coverage from one national service, while Texas outlets carried more general pieces on the Secretary’s San Antonio visit. Coverage of LaHood’s remarks ranged from slightly critical in the Reuters piece to slightly positive in reports seen on local television.

Reuters (4/27, Forsyth) reports that US Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, while in San Antonio, pushed for a national law banning the use of cell phones while driving. While speaking at an anti-distracted driving summit, which was attended by medical personnel, government officials, and safety advocates, LaHood characterized distracted driving as a “national epidemic” and said that a federal ban would be the way to prevent it. LaHood said that he doesn’t think other distracting behavior, such as eating or applying make-up, should be banned by the federal government since “not everyone does that.” LaHood added, “But everyone has a cell phone and too many of us think it is OK to talk on our phones while we are driving.”

New survey finds distracted driving a growing problem. WRC-TV Washington (4/26, Wilkins) reported on its website, “New statistics from the NTSB show just how big of a problem distracted driving in work zones really is in the Washington region.” A new survey released “by Transurban-Fluor, in partnership with AAA Mid-Atlantic, shows that 40 percent of drivers in work zones use their cell phones.” NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman commented, “NTSB issued a recommendation last December recommending to states that they ban talking or texting on the phone while behind a wheel, except for emergency situations.”

The Washington Post (4/26, Halsey) reports, “With miles of highway construction underway in Northern Virginia, the region’s police officers say work-zone accidents have increased dramatically because drivers are using mobile devices to talk or text.” A new survey by AAA and Transurban “of 409 police officers who patrol Northern Virginia’s roadways, found that cellphone use was to blame in one in three work-zone accidents.” Approximately “80 percent said banning cellphone use behind the wheel would dramatically reduce road accidents.” The article also notes last year’s recommended ban on all cellphone use while driving from the NTSB.

CLICK HERE FOR A FREE CONSULTATION

Fill out this form to receive a free initial consultation.

Name

Phone

Email

Message

CALL ME NOW!


Please leave this field empty.

Please leave this field empty.
icon