Avoid Aggressive Driving This Labor Day
With Summer having it’s final hurrah and Labor Day fast approaching, you’ll be finding many more people on the roads. That means it’s even more important to watch out for speeding and other aggressive driving behaviors. And it’s not just the other guy. You may be the one driving badly. Yes, I know, it’s not possible, but still…
Here are few questions to determine if you are driving aggressively, courtesy of Drive Safe PA:
- Do you speed excessively?
- Do you tailgate slower vehicles?
- Do you race to beat red lights or run stop signs?
- Do you weave in and out of traffic?
- Do you pass illegally on the right?
- Do you fail to yield the right of way to oncoming vehicles?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may be an aggressive driver and are putting yourself, your passengers and other people on the road with you at increased risk of a crash.
To deter aggressive drivers and make Pennsylvania´s highways safer for all who use them, PennDOT partners with Pennsylvania State and local police departments to conduct aggressive driving enforcement. Since the project was launched in 2006, more than 400 roadways have been targeted with additional enforcement and education.
If you encounter an aggressive driver, PennDOT offers these tips for what to do.
- Get out of their way and don´t challenge them. You can avoid an accident or a road rage incident.
- Stay relaxed, avoid eye contact and ignore rude gestures.
- Don´t block the passing lane if you are driving slower than most of the traffic.