Who may bring an action for damages in a personal injury case?

A competent adult, who is over age 18 and injured, must bring the lawsuit in his or her name. A minor or an incompetent adult must have a suit brought by either a parent or court-appointed guardian. The personal representative of a deceased person, must bring a lawsuit in the name of the decedent and his or her family.